Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is responsible for the company’s administration and the appropriate organisation of its operations. The Board of Directors has a general authorisation to decide upon all matters concerning the administration of FIT Biotech and other issues as far as they do not fall under the authority of the General Meeting of Shareholders or the CEO by law or the Articles of Association. The Board of Directors convenes as often as is necessary to perform its duties. The Board of Directors has a quorum when more than half of its members are present. The Board of Directors is elected by the General Meeting of Shareholders.
According to the Articles of Association, FIT Biotech’s Board of Directors may comprise minimum of three (3) and maximum of nine (9) ordinary members. The term of office of the members of the Board of Directors ends at the close of the Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders following their election.
The duties of the Board of Directors include deciding on the strategy of FIT Biotech, approving the company’s action plan and budget, and deliberation on and approval of the half-year interim report, the financial statements and the annual report. The Board of Directors shall decide upon investments with strategic or financially significance, mergers & acquisitions and accepting liabilities, approve the company’s financing policy, confirm the company’s risk management and reporting procedures and decide upon the company’s reward and incentive programmes. The Board of Directors is also responsible for the dividend policy, it nominates the CEO and decides upon the CEO’s benefits, and decides upon the nomination of the CEO’s deputy. In addition, the Board of Directors monitors and controls the Group’s financial reporting process and the risk management systems, as well as takes responsibility for other duties invested upon the Board of Directors by the Limited Liability Companies Act or other stipulations.
The members of the Board of Directors are:
Chairman of the Board since January 20, 2016
- Member of the Board since 2003
- MSc. (Organic chemistry)
- Currently Director in Corporate Investments Team at the Finnish National Fund for Research and Development (Sitra).
- During 1986-1999 senior technical adviser, then project manager and later research manager at the Technology Development Centre Finland – National Technology Agency (Tekes).
- Project manager in Orion Corporation Fermion during 1979-1986.
- During 1978-1979 Assistant in the Organic Chemistry Department at the University of Helsinki
Member of the Board since April 8, 2016
- MBE, FRCPath, FRSA.
- Consultant clinical haematologist at Belfast City Hospital and was deputy director of the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service 1981-2000.
- Positions in BBC Broadcasting Council for Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland member of the Independent Television Commission 1996-2003.
- Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Animal Feedingstuffs for the Food Standards Agency in 2002, Lay Member of the Review Body for Judicial Complaints in 2006.
- Vice Chairman of the BBC Trust 2006-2010.
Member of the Board since 2002
- Currently CEO and Board member in a biopharmaceutical company
- A variety of managerial positions in investment activities and financial administration, incl. Director of Finance at the Local Government Pensions Institution. He has also worked in municipal finances and funding. In addition, he has worked extensively consulting, for example as a restructuring consultant.
- Has served as member and as Chairman in several Boards.
Member of the Board since January 26, 2017
- LL.M, Solicitor (England and Wales), a member of the Finnish Bar
- Currently consultant partner with McCarthy Denning Ltd. in London.
- He has practiced law in London since 1995.
- He has been a UK Partner in major US law firms; specialising in international equity capital markets as well as private and public mergers and acquisitions.
- He has advised on numerous IPOs (initial public offerings) on several different markets, including primary listings abroad and early-stage IPOs.
Member of the Board since 2001, Chairman of the Board until January 19, 2016
- M.Sc. (Chemistry). Additonal education at Columbia University and Harvard Business School.
- Currently CEO of the company Tenboron Ltd. where he is one of the founders.
- His previous positions in Finnish biotech includes serving as CEO at Karyon-CTT Ltd. and CEO at Ipsat Therapies Ltd. Before joining the biotech industry, he held Country president positions with Novartis Finland Oy and Novartis Sweden Participations AB. Prior to the merger of Sandoz AG and Ciba-Geigy AG he held executive positions in marketing and sales with Sandoz Oy, Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Australia Pty Ltd and Sandoz Pharmaceuticals in the UK.
- Several honorary positions in pharmaceutical journals and societies.
Member of the Board since April 8, 2016
- Professor, Ph.D. in Molecular Biology. M.Sc. (Bioorganic Chemistry).
- Currently Professor of Biomedical Technology and Director, Institute of Technology, University of Tartu, Chief Executive Officer of Icosagen AS, Icosagen Cell Factory and Ico Park Ltd.
- Chief Scientific Officer and member of the Management team of FIT Biotech until January 2016.